May 23, 2010

on the pursuit of happiness| photographer

John D. Rockefeller said, "I can think of nothing less pleasurable than a life devoted to pleasure."

What's wrong with a little hedonism, John? People forget that pursuing pleasure can actually affect the greater good. I would much rather do business with someone who considers their personal needs and stays centered instead of someone who devotes their entire life to work. It makes me more comfortable to think about a truck driver who got enough rest before heading out on his journey instead of what's sometimes the norm: sleep-deprived, meth or energy-drink laden drivers.

I'm not joking when I say I spend a lot of time trying to more closely emulate my cats. Sure they go outside, exercise, explore, chase birds and bugs, but they also have time for relaxation, naps and for loving each other. My cats spend time grooming and cuddling each other every day.



I think Americans got off course somewhere. What's really important? The acquiring of of material goods, or actually living in a happy, healthy way? Does having material goods always make you happy, or more aptly-does striving for material things make you happy?

As I try to find my path, I want to keep my cats in mind. This quote by Oscar Wilde rings more true to me:

"Pleasure is Nature's test, her sign of approval. When man is happy, he is in harmony with himself and his environment."

So-what are you doing to create your happiness?